Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Ruminations of a Cigar Smoker Part 2

Why do I smoke cigars?

Explaining the hobby itself is weird enough. "Hi, my name is Ed. I like to take bunches of rolled up, old, dried up leaves, light them on fire, and smoke them." I always think, "Well...it's a vice, but I can be doing worse things." Just as some people have hobbies like cars, playing video games, my hobby is smoking cigars.

What I like about cigar smoking is that it is a very subjective experience, a 'to each his own' kind of thing. I like that it stimulates four senses, and all five sometimes. Tasting the tobacco, smelling the smoke, feeling the cigar, watching it slowly burn down to nothingness.

When you're smoking in company, listening to the conservations is always a great experience, no matter if they're serious, intelligent, mundane, or plain old raunchy. Smoking cigars with others builds a certain camaraderie that you have to experience for yourself.

Is it an addiction? I don't think so. The cigars are not really addictive in themselves, but the experience is addicting and sometimes one can feel a twinge in their heart when the cigar is finished. I've smoked cigars so tasty that it can be sad to watch them burn out and left as a smoldering butt. Wholly wonderful and enchanting smoking experiences can be few and far between, but when they happen it is great!

Smoking cigars allows me to kick back, relax, and think, even more so with three fingers of some nice scotch or whiskey (on the rocks, of course) or a nice cocktail. It is truly a pleasurable experience. It is one of life's simple pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment