Wednesday, August 25, 2010

La Aroma de Cuba Robusto


This time I decided to try the La Aroma de Cuba Robusto, what's known as the new blend(the Pepin one). I've actually enjoyed the smaller sizes from the original blend, particularly the interlude and petite corona. I didn't care much for the big rang gauges, however. I've tried the edicion especial (EE) LAdC, but never tried these, so I decided to give them a shot.

Initial Impressions:This was a rather meaty robusto 5X(52?). I really don't like smokes above 50 RG sometimes, they're a little too big IMO. This cigar had a dark natural wrapper that was a little mottled and bumpy, not completely smooth. The cigar was firm to the touch; there were no soft spots. The cigar had a very faint aroma prior to lighting.

Smoking:This was a perfectly constructed cigar. The draw was good with a plentiful amount of smoke each and every puff. The cigar burned evenly and burned slow and cool, no overheating. The wrapper behaved well and did not crack or unravel. The ash was firm and white, staying on for over an inch before I ashed myself.

Taste:This was a medium bodied cigar, on the lighter side of medium. Absolutely smooth, no harshness whatsoever. This cigar started out with a lot of spice! And I mean...a lot of SPICE!. I could get a very spicy coffee-like taste for most of the smoke, with some hints of leather and a good bit of cocoa, but the spice was overpowering for a little while. Surprisingly the finish was very mild and stayed on the palate for only s short time. Smoking through the nose, the spice was excessive, but I could still get hints of cocoa and chocolate. About half way through the cigar, the spice died down significantly, but this was coupled with a somewhat bland flavor. For the rest of the smoke the taste was pretty boring.

Conclusion:This started out as a typical 'Pepin' product(at least what most people seem to label as typical) with plenty of spice that was really upfront. The spice, however, may have been a little too much. While the first half of the cigar was...interesting/eventful(?) the 2nd half of the smoke was somewhat disappointing. The construction was spot on.

1 comment: