Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Father Le Bijou 1922 Petite Robusto


Another cigar made by Don Pepin.


Well, I decided to light another new Pepin creation, the My Father La Bijou 1922 Petite Robusto. I've had the original My Father cigars, blended by Pepin's son Jaime Garcia, and really enjoyed the whole range, particularly the lancero. I haven't tried the La Bijou series yet, mostly because I thought it was just another silly line extension, but I decided to try one out.

Initial Impressions:This was a rather meaty rothschild/petite robusto reminiscent of some of the sizes made by General as well as the HdM Petite Robusto (a tasty little smoke). I believe this was the first rothschild made by DPG for any of his lines or his client lines. The wrapper was a dark natural color and very smooth, no bumps or prominent veins, and the cigar had a nicely done triple cap on top. The cigar was also firm to the touch, no soft spots. The cigar itself felt a little hefty, it seemed to be packed with tobacco. A pleasant and mild aroma came off of this cigar before lighting.

Smoking:The construction on this cigar was flawless. The draw was superb with a more than adequate amount of smoke with each puff. The wrapper stayed on well and did not crack or unravel. The cigar burned very cool and slowly as I puffed rather slowly again. The burn was excellent. The ash was firm and a beige-ish gray color, staying for half the smoke before I ashed it myself. Excellent construction.

Taste:This smoke can be best characterized as being medium -full bodied, closer to the full side. The flavor was pleasant and smooth the whole way through, no trace of harshness whatsoever. The cigar began with a blast of pepper and spice (and everything nice), but that immediately died down to a very subtle spice undertone. The dominant flavors for about the first half of the smoke were cedar and some leather. The taste of the tobacco was exceptional. The finish was very full bodied with a tasty sweetness and earthiness and stayed on the palate for a long time. As I smoked the cigar developed a very sweet coffee-like taste and some more complexity that I really cannot adequately describe. The finish continued to be very deep and pleasant. A pleasant aroma came off of this cigar while smoking.

Conclusion:Well...I'll just say it. This was one of the best cigar smoking experiences I have had in a while. A super tasty smoke with superb construction quality. This hit everything on my good smoke 'check-list'. This was one of those cigars I would recommend if someone asked me to name a good cigar. Compared to the El Triunfador from the previous review, this cigar knocked it out of the water. This cigar had amazing flavor in spades. Highly recommended, and I will definitely sample more of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment